Thursday

This is a real news story. I have highlighted the best parts. And no, that is not a pic of me groping a giant zucchini.

Woman in 'shock' over giant zucchini

By Christina Boyle Daily News Staff Writer
Thursday, September 4th 2008, 1:18 AM

Apollonia Castitlione holds tight to giant zucchini at Queens home. It would make one hell of a salad.

A Queens woman has taken homegrown fruits and vegetables to a whole new level by cultivating a 6-foot-long zucchini in her backyard.

Green-fingered Apollonia Castitlione grew the giant Long Italian zucchini during the warm summer months using nothing more than fertilizer, water and a little TLC.

"I've had my vegetable garden for 26 years, but I never saw anything so spectacular," said Castitlione, who's 5 feet tall. "I didn't put Miracle Grow on it, nothing, just a little bit of 5-10-5 fertilizer, water and my time."

Castitlione, 48, said she noticed the giant fruit was growing longer than usual last month when it suddenly shot up a couple of inches in as many days. She then went on vacation to Boston for the weekend and returned to find it had shot up another 1.5 inches.

At last count, the zucchini was just over 6 feet - nearly 2 feet shy of the world-record 7-foot, 10-inch zucchini grown in India three years ago.

"There's no secret, I guess it was just luck," said Castitlione, who lives in Glendale, Queens.
"I went to look at it one day and was like, 'It's a little long,' then a few days later, I said, 'Oh, my God, what's this?'

"I was so in shock, I grow them every year, but never more than about 4feet.
"I decided I wasn't going to touch it and just let it grow."
She said several friends gave her zucchini seeds, but she doesn't know who gave her the special one.
The home-care worker also grows tomatoes and string beans but says this fruit will not be making its way to her dinner plate anytime soon.
"I'm going to save it and use the seeds for next year," she said.
"It's getting hard, so wouldn't be good to eat anymore and it's starting to grow very slowly.
"It's still hanging off the vine and I'm watering it.
"It's so straight, it's so perfect. Usually, some are really crooked."

3 comments:

pure evyl said...

I just read the highlighted parts. Great story.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Well, doesn't matter to me if they're crooked or straight, just as long as it's hard, that's the important thing...;)

Dear Jane... said...

yeah evyl...why did I even bother posting the un-hilighted parts?

stacy, i am not a huge fan of the crooked, but i suppose you are right.